4.18.2009

Happy Birthday My Sweet Little Man!

He is truly becoming a little man. He's getting taller. He's getting more personality. His ability to reason and make deductions based on what he already knows is astounding at times. Every day with him is interesting and fulfilling and challenging.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I moved in with BF and LM. LM was just starting to talk and walk. It was so easy. It was so different. Then, it was about keeping him occupied, feeding him, changing him and making sure he got enough sleep.

It's a whole new ballgame now and I really love it. He's got such excellent linguistic skills that it's really a joy to talk to him now, to actually have conversations. And he wants to learn things and teaching is pretty much my thing, so I'm really loving that. We had a whole mini-lesson the other day about who the men on our coins are and what they did and why they were important. I was thrilled and he really seemed to enjoy it.

I love him to death, but I like him more all the time. I'm so glad that he's a part of my life and that I'm lucky enough to be a part of his. Parenting is just so rewarding. I always knew that I wanted to be a mom, but I had no idea of what it would actually be like. And at this point I really do feel like a mom and just to boost my self-confidence in that area, LM told his mom that I'm one of his parents. He definitely favors his dad when he's here, but I've been noticing more and more that he really does treat me like a mom.

* * *


The birthday party turned out pretty well. We decided to do a combination party this year with LM's mom, so the little guy got to have a whole lot of his favorite people around, all at once. It's the first time we've ever all gotten together like that and it went really well. We rented space at Smith Memorial Playhouse, a very cool place. If you live in the Philadelphia area and have kids under ten, you need to check it out. It's free to play on the playground and they have the coolest, most unique playground equipment I've ever seen.

Getting there was absolutely insane though. It was a great zoo day in addition to a Phillies game, so traffic inched all of the way down I-76. All of us, hosts and guests, were late. His poor grandparents didn't get there until the party was practivcally over.

We had fun though. The train cake came out pretty well (and I was feeling well enough to frost and decorate it), but on the way down we had to stop a little too short and the train fell on it's side. We mostly salvaged it, so it wasn't a total loss.

LM enjoyed his gifts and we just got finished reading on of his new "Martha Speaks" books, which he loves. It was a really good day on the whole and it's good to have had this as a sort of ice breaker. It's the first time that both sides of LM's family have been in the same room and I hope it leads to more of these joint holidays/events. It was good for him and I think it's good for all of us too. I was particularly happy about how things went with LM's aunt. Things have been historically tense and unfriendly between the two of us, but today we both made an effort to put it behind us and not only co-exist, but actually be nice to one another. I'm hopeful that this can be the way things are from here on out. I like their family, the past has just strained relations. Maybe enough time has passed that they can see me for who I really am rather than how I came into their lives.

Anyway, it was a good day, exhausting, but good. I've been laying on the couch since we got home and I'll be going to sleep very soon. It's good to have an exhausting day every once in a while.

G'night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment