We've actually got a team together this year and we'll all be walking together and we would really appreciate any contribution that you could make to help our cause.
I am one of at least 1.5 million people -- women, men, teens, and children -- that have lupus the United States alone and more than 16,000 new cases are reported across the country each year.
Lupus strikes mostly women of childbearing age (15-44). However, men, children and teenagers develop lupus, too.
Women of color are 2-3 times more likely to develop lupus, but people of all races and ethnic groups can develop lupus. Lupus can devastate lives by causing a multitude of syndromes and symptoms that interfere with living a normal life.
Just a few of the complications that can be caused by Systemic Lupus are...
- inflammation of the kidneys (lupus nephritis)
- an increase in blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension)
- inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis)
- hardening of the arteries (coronary artery disease)
- inflammation of the central nervous system (CNS) and brain
- inflammation of the brain’s blood vessels
- pulmonary arterial hypertension
- extreme fatigue (tiredness)
- painful or swollen joints
- swelling (edema) in feet, legs, or around eyes
- Pain in the chest on deep breathing (pleurisy)
- Butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose
- Sun- or light-sensitivity (photosensitivity)
- Hair loss
- Blood-clotting problems
- Fingers turning white and/or blue in the cold (Raynaud’s phenomenon)
- Ulcers in mouth or nose
Every dollar you donate goes to fund research, education, and services for all of these people. Helping to provide live saving treatments and medications that can help to alleviate the pain of living with this disease. So, please, every dollar helps and no donation is too small.
To donate to our team "Lupus Sucks" go to http://www.active.com/donate/lupusloop2008/REarnes
Thanks a million!