I know, I Know...

I know. I said that there was another post coming, like soon, after that last purge of an entry. Things have just been, well I guess very productive and a little exciting, but mostly boring.

After I left the hospital I went to my most-excellent-Mother’s house to rehab, and there was plenty of rehab. I couldn’t walk or stand. My legs were like Jell-o. But with the help of my physical therapist and my own strength-of-will I got up and walking with a walker in about a month. By the middle of February I had already been walking around without the walker for a while. At the same time we were still controlling (and are still controlling) my GI issues. I have to suction my stomach through a gastronomy tube that goes through my abdomen and at night I get feedings through a jejunal tube that bypasses my stomach and feeds me directly into my small intestine. Lovely, eh?

Anyway, by the end of February I felt well enough to get out. In fact I felt that it was imperative that I leave the state and do something fun. After all, after six months in the hospital “cabin fever” doesn’t ever begin to describe it. So we booked two tickets to Vegas and flew out there. The trouble is, we’re not really the “Vegas types”; we don’t really gamble, go to dance clubs, drink, or pay highly inflated rates to fly over the Grand Canyon or the Strip, but we still thought that there’d beplenty to keep us busy. And there was a lot, just not enough. We had a great dinner at a nice restaurant, saw two Circue du Solieil shows. But we ended up taking a five hour drive to the Grand Canyon only to find that there was a very localized snowstorm that had whited out all of the “scenic vistas” we’d been waiting so long to see. And other than that and a couple little side trips, we spent a lot of time sitting in our hotel room watching Olympic curling and fighting over whether or not it was my fault the vacation was going so badly. But, great vacation or not, we got away and it actually did wonders for our relationship. It was really hard for BF to deal with me being hospitalized for six months and essentially being hospitalized for another two months at my Mother’s house.

Once we got home from Vegas and I moved back home with BF, things got a lot better between us. I’ve been able to do a lot more to help around the house, and BF is more understanding about the things that I can’t do. And not to get too intimate, but things have been a lot better in that department as well.

So now we’re just living life as best we can. The house is still not-quite-renovated, the laundry never ends, and half the boxes are still packed from the move, but we’ve got our own house, I’m building a vegetable garden in the side yard, BF’s building a deck in the back, the little guy’s about to turn five and he’s getting a great big play set with swings and a slide for the back yard. Things are good. We’re happy. I’m doing a round of chemo a month; I’ve had three so far and they’re not so bad. Oh and before I forget, my step-mom’s pregnant again, so I’ll be getting a new baby brother in six months. It’s pretty exciting.

Well, I guess that’s it for now. I’ll write again. Can’t promise when, but hopefully soon! Thanks for bothering to read!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I missed this entry!! I have been wondering how you were. It's great to know that you are doing so much better than your last entry! I hope things keep getting better for you!